Online classes can be super intimidating, especially if you’ve never taken one before. With schools and universities all over the country making the transition to online learning, here are a few tips to make the most of them and get your grades up.
1. Make sure you are in a distraction-free environment
Whether you are just completing some homework or listening to an online lecture, make sure you are distraction-free. Put your phone on do not disturb and leave it somewhere where you won’t be reaching for it every second. And remember to only leave open tabs that you need.
2. Take advantage of office hours
Just because classes are online doesn’t mean your professors can’t be reached. Email your professor to sent up a time for a video or phone call to get any extra help you may need, whether it’s with specific material in the course or just online learning in general, and make sure to take advantage of office hours!
3. Use a planner or online calendar to keep up with assignments
With so many assignments, exams and online class meetings happening, it’s important to stay on top of it all. Make sure to utilize a paper planner or online calendar app to keep track of class times and assignment due dates so you don’t end up missing something important.
4. Host virtual study groups with classmates and friends
Make sure that you and your classmates are holding each other accountable for assignments by hosting a virtual study group! Not only is this a great way to make sure you understand the concepts being discussed in class, but it is also a great way to stay social even when you’re stuck at home.
Just because classes are online does NOT mean that you should be searching up all of your exam answers online. Make sure you are studying as usual and making sure you understand all of the material before your exams so you won’t be tempted to cheat. You’ll want to make sure you know the material for yourself so it can be used later in your life and career.
6. Take breaksJust like when classes (and life and general) are normal, make sure you are taking breaks from working on school and take care of yourself. These are incredibly stressful times and it is important that we figure out what self-care means to us and practice it as often as possible.
Remember, you are not alone in this! We are all trying to navigate these strange times together. Don’t be afraid to reach out if there is anything you need from friends, family or professors!
Please post with respect for others.